Friday, August 30, 2013

Where I Lost My Sunglasses

I'm in Starkville for the weekend visiting my long time BFF Nikki. I love being in Starkville. It is a very special place for me. What I do not love is the drive between Jackson and Starkville. For the most part it is two plus hours of nothing. With the exception if Louisville and its two gas stations that fall about 45 minutes outside of Starkville. I prefer the Chevron that is on the side of town closest to Jackson. I've probably stopped there 4 out of every 5 trips to and from Starkville. And as of November of last year it will probably always be known to me as "where I lost my sunglasses".

These were my favorite sunglasses, limited edition RayBans that I had actually managed to keep up with. And yet somehow on a late November night a year ago I drove away from that station without my precious glasses. I was headed home to Jackson after a football weekend and running on fumes coming into Louisville. So of course I pulled into my favorite station. Now by this time in my marriage separation our checking and savings accounts had been drained. There was just enough left to keep them open. Like $20 left. (But that is another story.) We did still have our joint credit card that was only used for gas and groceries. So I wasn't worried about being able to get gas that night...until my card got declined twice at the pump and again when I tried it inside. Yikes! I had spent all the cash I had that weekend and had nothing left. It's nine at night and I'm 45 minutes away from anyone I know. I try calling the credit card company only to be told my account had been cancelled with the message to suspend the account due to divorce. So I used my debit card to pay for my gas. It was my only option. I felt like I was in some bad Dave Ramsey story. "Mary is broke and going through a divorce. Even though she only has $20 in the bank, out of desperation she fills her tank with $40. Mary let stress cause her to make an unwise financial choice." Honestly, Dave, Mary's husband cancelled her card without letting her know. So boo on you! 

It was a low moment. And somehow my sunglasses that were sitting on my front seat got knocked out of my car and I drove off never to see them again. Sad ending to a sad story. But really that isn't the end. Because I didn't let that awful night or any of the other awful nights that were to come ruin me or control me. I took control of my life. I worked two part time jobs the next six months until nursing school started. I opened my own bank accounts and credit card. I become my own woman. I like to think of myself as kind of like Jennifer Lopez in the movie Enough. That woman did not let her husband ruin her. In fact she trained like crazy, became a complete badass (excuse the language but if you have seen the movie you know what I mean) and got more than even with her husband. Now I'm not trying to train to beat up my ex. Nothing like that. I don't have any desire to get even or back at him. Honestly I think where I am today as a person is revenge enough if that was my goal. But anyway.. back to how I'm like J Lo. I am without a doubt stronger than I ever knew I was capable of. With much thanks to the ex actually or maybe thanks to the way I learned to respond to some bad times caused by him. It feels good to know I took an awful situation with much help from The Lord and became an overall better person. Today and everyday I seek to glorify him. My divorce could have destroyed my life but it didn't. It made who I am today. 

I'm closing with a verse I often feel is over used but tonight it seems to have meaning I never realized before. I often see this verse pertaining to some sports team or being used by a student struggling with a class. But for me I know without a doubt I can do all things with him. 

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you. New life and doing well. Maybe you will one day have even better sunglasses too!

    ReplyDelete