Sunday, May 19, 2013

Set Apart

As a Christian I want to live a life set apart.  A life that makes non-believers notice that something is different.  I thought that saving my marriage would do that.  I could not fathom how a divorce would set me apart for God.  I wanted to show everyone just how amazing God is that He could save my broken marriage.  But as we know now He did not save it. He had other plans for me.  In His faithfulness He used this ugly divorce to bring glory to His kingdom.

Not talking bad about JG is one thing that has been important to me throughout this process.  Sure, I have said mean things about him and been careless with my words but overall I have tried to restrain from talking bad about him.  After all, I still married him so the least I can do is be respectful of how I talk about him.  I do still remember his good qualities.  And in some small way it makes me feel like I can still keep some of the vows I made in marriage.

I was brought to my knees a couple months ago when a non-Christian friend told me that she respected me so much for the way I had handled the divorce.  And that she was most impressed by the way I spoke about JG.  She told me she knew so many women who bashed their husbands.  She wanted to know how I, who actually did have reason to slander my husband, could refrain from talking bad about him and even sometimes compliment him. I got to tell my friend about how it was not me but Jesus who gave me the strength to act this way.  "The straight and narrow path" is not supposed to be easy but it is worth the challenge. While I still hate divorce and would never ever fathom that God could possibly approve of any divorce, He still used my divorce for the glory of The Kingdom.  How awesome is that?

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as prophet to the nations" Jeremiah 1:5

"But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Matthew 7:14

1 comment:

  1. This blog is amazing and an inspiration. Press on, my sister.
    "But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal the win the prize for which God has called me Heavenward in Christ Jesus." -Philippians 3:13-14

    ReplyDelete