Saturday, June 1, 2013

Describe Your Perfect Date



I'm laying in bed putting off sleep by looking through Facebook. I'm scrolling through the timeline of a "friend" and see the date October 24. And I realize I can't remember the date that JG left. I know it was toward the end of October and on a Sunday. But I can't remember what the exact date was. 

This is not typical of me. I still remember the date of just about everything in any relationship I've had. I still remember the date of my first date with my first boyfriend. I'm also super quirky about numbers. I love months and days with 2, 4 or 8 in them. Those are my favorite numbers. I never forget a date because its either a "good date" and even or a "troublesome date" and odd. (Unfortunately my birthday falls in the troublesome category on the 21st of August.) So why in my slightly neurotic, semi-OCD mind can't I remember the date that changed my life? 

And all of a sudden I know that it doesn't matter at all. That is not a date that defines me or my life. It is just another day that presented a challenge. And for better or for worse (no irony intended) I have moved past that date. I am not the same girl I was last October. I am stronger and wiser and better off for it. 

That day and this divorce don't define me. It is my prayer that my life will be defined by Christ and his work in me. I'm reminded of the hymn "They Will Know We Are Christians By Our Love". What a beautiful line to be known by our love through Christ. 

Thank you Lord for reminding me of just how far I've come and how much you've worked in my life recently. 



No comments:

Post a Comment