Friday, June 21, 2013

Faux

I told you a while back that I was going to do some very inexpensive updates to my kitchen. Well I'm finally ready to update you on part 1 of my kitchen renovations. 

There honestly was nothing wrong with my kitchen countertops. But they also weren't anything to write home about. And in what I have started calling "the fancy house" I definitely needed to step up the game in my kitchen. So here is the before...


After A LOT of Pinterest research I found a blog post on faux marble countertops. I already had everything but the latex glaze and the sea sponges so this project literally cost me around $18. My blog inspiration said I would need a stiff drink to loosen up. Of course I had to oblige with Skinny Girl Margarita. So after two coats of primer and margarita in hand, I started faux-ing my counters. This is the result. 


Not too bad I think. Not perfect but also not worse than before. It was a little "gloppy" in some areas. And after three days of sanding I realized I would never get smooth countertops. So it was back to Pinterest to find a thick lacquer to cover the multitude of sins on my counters. And I found this magic stuff. 


It equals 50 layers of polyurethane and requires a propane torch. Sold! Also I used a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby so it only cost $19. Making this project still under $40. I also bought the propane torch which I'm sure I'll find plenty of uses for in the future. The best part is that in my slightly OCD mind I feared the propane tank would explode in my car in the Mississippi heat. So I carried it in my purse while I finished my shopping. I'm sure the good people of Illegal Burrito were questioning my sanity/intentions when I had to take the propane tank out of my purse to find my wallet.

The instructions say you have to work fast with this product. The instructions also say you need under 50% humidity for 72 hours for the product to properly cure. Does under 50% humidity exist in Mississippi?  I did this last Sunday night and as of Thursday morning there was still a certain sticky feeling to them. Especially the area right around the sink. I'll be out of town until Sunday and have decided that no matter what I'm going to start using the counters when I return home. 

This is the finished result. It's quite shiny. I think I like them. It's growing on me. 


Just to prove the extreme shine...and if you can't tell that is a gnat that flew into my counter while it was wet and now will forever be immortalized in my kitchen. 


My next steps in the kitchen are painting the cabinet knobs to a nice brushed nickel and having a chalkboard wall. 

So what do you think? Before, during and after. 


1 comment: