Monday, June 10, 2013

I'm Not Superstitious

....but I am a little stitious. If you've read my blog you have probably realized I have a dry sense of humor. The Office is for sure in my top five favorite shows ever. So I begin this post with a tribute you, Michael Scott. 


I do not now why but for the past four years this week has plagued me. Seriously, the week of June 10ish to June 15 has been a real bummer since 2009. 

Let's begin with this week in 2009. My long term and very serious boyfriend broke up with me. I was devastated. So much so that my closest friends say I responded worse to this breakup than my divorce. (Thank God for teaching me positive coping skills in the past four years.) And to pour salt in the wound the air conditioning died about five minutes into my hour and a half drive to my parents house immediately following the break up. The next day, Jill the Jeep went to the auto shop and never came back. Jill got me through four years of undergrad and two years of grad school. Her replacement, Jack, has just never really filled that void in my heart. So not exactly my best day/week. 

Skip to 2010, exact same day as the previous year's breakup (June15) and my boyfriend and I are calling it quits. Now I will have to say that this was not heartbreaking but still ironic. I sometimes forget/purposely don't include this boyfriend on my list of past romances.  I like to say I've had two and a half serious boyfriends. This guy was the half mainly because I feel it necessary to include someone I called my boyfriend at least every other week for a period of six months. (Btw the half boyfriend is at least a thousand miles away, married, has a kid and is no longer on FB. Nor do we have any mutual friends anymore. So I feel confident that I can casually joke about this relationship. He'd probably feel very similar.)

This week in 2011 rolls in with a bang. JG and I are engaged and have just purchased our house. It's time to paint and we have an epic argument. Actually I have an epic meltdown with his sister over where to buy paint. This honestly was the only time I ever even got slightly nervous about marrying JG. Not because of him but his family. Foreshadowing anyone? Now you may think just a fight is no big deal but when two years later it is mentioned in various divorce lawyer emails, I'd call it more than just a normal fight. 

Enter the infamous Archer family beach trip of 2012. Although according to JG's middle sister, Bibba, it wasn't an Archer family trip it was Ellen's (older sister from epic paint meltdown) beach trip because it was Ellen's idea for us all to go to the beach. Yes, I know, Ellen is a genius and was the first person ever to think of having a group go to the beach together. Do I sound a little annoyed? I'd call it more amazed by ridiculousness. But tomāto tomáto. In all seriousness this trip was truly the beginning of the unraveling of our marriage. It was the start of the absolute worst summer of my life and subsequently the worst year-ish of my life. I will definitely give more details at some point but just know this was not in anyway a pleasant week last year. 

So that brings us to present day. Like I said, I'm not superstitious. I'm Presbyterian for goodness sakes. We don't even say good luck.  Just do your best and do what God has predestined. Nevertheless I do slightly fear this week. Once at work I called a patient to let them (using non gender specific terms just in case) know their prescription had been sent to the pharmacy. I was informed by the patient's family member that the patient was dead. I feared calling patients about refills for at least a week. So I think it's reasonable to fear this week.  

What will this week bring in 2013? "Unlucky" 13. I do not know but I also know at the end of this week I will still be here. I'll still be working on myself, getting my life back together and learning to lean on The Lord for everything. I'll still have amazing friends and family. I'll be one week further from my divorce which means one week more healed. I'll also have week three of ten of summer school finished.  So bring it on week of June 10! I'm ready!

1 comment:

  1. I hope (and pray) that this week this year will be wonderful (or, at the very least, completely unpredictable!). I love reading your thoughts on your blog!

    ReplyDelete