Sunday, June 2, 2013

That Homey Feeling and Other Comforts

I grew up going to a traditional Baptist and later Presbyterian church. As my dad says, we did not have "jumbo-trons" at the churches I grew up attending. My favorite church was First Presbyterian in Meridian. I haven't attended a truly traditional church since I graduated high school and moved away from Meridian. I'm not sure if I've even used a hymnal since leaving that church.

When my tennis teammate invited me to church with her I was a little bit hesitant. But I figured it is about time that I put myself out there and start visiting churches. I'm not sure if I've mentioned but I haven't attended a church regularly since October. I had a bad a experience with the way my church deals with divorce and ever since then I've just been hesitant to try somewhere new. I know I want a church that accepts brokenness openly and has a designated woman on staff to deal with sensitive issues. I'll talk more on that in another post though. 

This morning's service was quite comforting to me. It was traditional to the core. We sang the Doxology, the Gloria Patri, said the Lord's Prayer and said responsive readings. And while I'm not sure what church I will end up joining, I must say it was comforting to open a hymnal and sing all five verses of the old hymns I love. 

It got me thinking about the style of worship that my future children will find comforting. Will jumbo-trons and hand waving comfort my children? Will my children even know how to sing from a hymnal? Please don't think I'm saying there is anything wrong with contemporary worship. I have  a feeling that I will land in a church with contemporary worship.  It's just not how I grew up. And isn't there something so homey and comforting about the way we all grew up? So today, I'm thankful for the refreshing feeling I had leaving church this morning. The feeling of coming home after a long yet very worthwhile journey.

This scripture was in today's service.  I much enjoyed it :)

Am I not trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? I I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.  Galations 1:10

No comments:

Post a Comment