Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Cluttering My Life

I went this past weekend to the coast with Mallory. We stayed at her aunt's house where her aunt, uncle, three cousins and grandmother all live. Saturday morning while her cousin made me a waffle, her grandma was digging through a cabinet looking for the lid to a Tupperware container. The cabinet was clearly quite cluttered  with too many to count different shaped dishes and lids. And this is probably the strangest reaction to seeing clutter but it gave me this warm feeling inside. It made me think of my parent's house.  It's a home. A lived in home with lots of memories and love and the least important thing on anyone's mind is keeping the Tupperware cabinet organized. Btw...mine and JG's Tupperware drawer was always organized. What do you literary people call that? Symbolism?

For most of my life I've wanted to be perfect. To look perfect, act perfect, be perfect. As all humans do, I have failed. My life inevitably becomes cluttered with emotions and knick-knacks and the business of living. When I saw that cluttered cabinet all I could think is that I can't wait for my house to get cluttered. I can't wait to have lived in my house enough to make it a home. 

To my surprise when I returned from the coast my parents had unpacked most of my house. They are awesome. It was one of those moments when I couldn't even find the words for how grateful I was for them. I opened up drawers and cabinets excited to see everything in a place! And what do you know but I found my Tupperware (gladware, let's get real.. I'm cheap!) in a cabinet where it all just didn't quite fit perfectly. 


It's pretty organized but certainly not perfect. I like it that way. I like a little clutter. It feels a little more like home everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment