Tuesday, January 14, 2014

14

In the South people become desperate in their late twenties.  We think we are desperate when we graduate college still single.  We just don’t realize that true desperation doesn’t come until about the age of 27.  That’s when your friends start to have babies.  Lots of babies.  That is when you realize truly all the decent singles are now taken.  You take what you can get at this point.

I met a perfectly lovely boy a few weeks ago.  We met at a bar and were introduced by mutual friends.  He has a good job and seems to have his head on straight.  He was a good conversationalist as well.  Maybe he was slightly over eager but I probably was too.  So we talked and drank.  And then we drank some more.  And then I drank some more.  I’m not even going to lie; I was drunk and slightly sloppy.  Not exactly the first impression I wanted to give off.  And certainly not the impression that would have ever gotten me a second meeting a few years ago.

But, you see, this guy and I are both in our late twenties and from the South.  So we are getting (maybe already there) desperate.  This not young man called the very next day to ask to spend more time with me.  He admitted that while I didn’t make the best first impression he still thought I seemed to be a good person and would be worth giving another chance.  Seriously? Why would anyone in his right mind want to take me out again?


It’s the desperation.  All of us Southern single folks past the age of 27 know what it is like to go out with someone we never would have considered in our early twenties.  We know what it is like to date someone a little too long because while we may not be overjoyed with our date they still are a date.  And dates can be few and far between at this point in our lives.

4 comments:

  1. As a 30 year old SWW it is a bit unnerving that I hit desperate at 27 without knowing it. I am calling a matchmaker, right now. I saw one on Bravo just last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if it's desperate. Maybe its a little desperate, but its also grace and little more open mindedness.

    I love seeing my friends (and even myself) give boys a chance that we wouldn't have given a chance at 21-- and vice versa. At 21, we were much more focused on looks, status, how smooth someone was. I also was a bit self righteous and expected the boy to have never made a mistake in his life. And some girls wanted exciting and adventurous!

    Now, my friends give guys a chance who have made mistakes and straightened up, who took nontraditional career paths, who are cute but no model. We realize stable isn't boring. We realize people make mistakes and have pasts. We realize we arent so perfect either.

    I, myself, married a man who I wouldn't have picked at 21 (its ok, he wouldn't have picked me either) He was a party boy and I was as straight laced as they came -- and then we both grew up and became much more moderate.

    So, give all those boys a chance. They may not be the one, but what harm does dinner or drinks do? Maybe its desperation, I don't know. But if so, desperation causes us to be more open minded and gracious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry for my novel. miss you. my pullout couch is ready and waiting should you choose to visit!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your comments! I'm glad people are actually reading. Just to clarify-I feel like we tend to do some uncharacteristic acts out of a desperate feeling to fit into the Southern society where it is normal to be married with two or three kids by the time you are 27. I by absolute no means am labeling anyone at any age as desperate. Gosh, I hope that a few drunk texts or bad dates don't make me desperate. I'm going to date some dating series in February and will definitely get into this more!

    ReplyDelete