Tuesday, January 21, 2014

21

A silly post..

I am a woman of habit, especially night time rituals. For the last ten years or so I have gone to bed every night with water, chapstick, and kleenex on my night stand AND a personal fan laying next to my head. The last ten years of my life are living proof that the old wives' tale about going to bed with a wet head will cause you to wake up sick is in fact not the least bit true. 

I discovered my freshman year in the dorm (due to poor air floor) that if I washed my hair before bed and slept with a fan pointed at my hair I could wake up with perfectly dry and frizz free hair. I've been using my fan as overnight hair dryer ever since. 

The fan travels with me everywhere. I have a lot of great "fan" stories. My favorite is probably the time I went to Mardi Gras with five of my best friends and one girl I had never met (who now is a great friend..maybe even somewhat because of the fan).  My long time BFF, Lindsey, and I wound up sharing a king sized bed with Lane. Neither of us knew Lane before the trip but we pretty much immediately bonded. Especially when I explained to Lane that she was going to have to sleep in between me and Lindsey because my fan was going to need to sit on the side of the bed. "Nice to meet you. Yes, you have to sleep in the middle of two strangers because yes, I am weird and my fan is my priority."  Lindsey also once threatened (as a joke) to not let the fan sleep with us on a girl's trip to Birmingham. The mix of anger and sadness that followed was intense. 

So I would like to give a salute to the unsung hero of my hair, the fan. It has been to two countries, thirteen states and slept with nineteen people and three dogs. What a whore. 

1 comment: